One Phat Grrl

onephatgrrl@yahoo.com

Monday, April 19, 2004

Well, the weekend has help put this all in better perspective for me. Since it's not as fresh in my mind, I think I can have a little better attitude.

Friday afternoon, my boss called me down....wait, you know what? I don't work there anymore, so I can use real names now! lol

Let's try this again.

Friday afternoon, MARK called me down to his office right at 4:30...said for me to come see him before I left. I walked in and he was on the telephone with the office manager telling her to find out how much we owed on a loan to Union Planters..because one of the locations is going to probably close as of the end of May.

I sat down, he looked at me and said, "I don't even know how to start this conversation"...and got up to close the door. "I've been dragging my feet on this all week long", he said and then sat down. "Allison, I'm gonna have to let you go". I don't remember much past that part, other than putting my hand up and telling him to save it. I asked if it was a now thing or a two weeks thing or what and he said that he was paying me for two weeks and that I could work those two weeks out if I wanted, but that he thought I shouldn't--that I should take some time to myself. Wow, what a rocket scientist.

At that point, I remember getting up, him still talking and me telling him that I knew this was coming. That I had been saying for months that when it came to the point of getting rid of someone in that office, I knew I would be first to go. I told him I couldn't talk to him right now and that I'd call in a few days, but right now I needed to go. I was crying...upset, so I left.

I left work and called my sister, told her. While on the phone with her my mom beeped in, told her. While on the phone with her, my friend James beeped in. Told him what happened (he works there too--Mark had just told him that he had to let me go). At this point, I had no idea why I'd been fired. I now know that it was due to financial reasons. The company is going under....I knew that, just chose not to acknowledge it fully. We had just signed the paperwork on a merger that was supposed to infuse the business with all this cash (much needed)....don't know where that all stands now...The deal did go through, but there is some logistical data that's gotta be sorted out.

So, needless to say the weekend has helped. I'm still a little shocked I think. Not shocked that he picked me first, but shocked that as of today, I'd have been there five years--and now I'm gone.
I'm still trying to mentally grip what being out of work means--and the fear that comes with that.

So, today, I'm at my moms house--sending out resumes. As of right now, I applied for 17 jobs today. I hope that's a good start. We will see.

I'll get my seperation notice tomorrow and go the Unemployment Office on Wednesday. Hopefully if nothing comes through, that will kick in about the time that I would officially be without a check (the middle of May).

So, good luck to the people who still work there. We ALL know that my salary is not going to keep that company from going under. A lot of people think I am just the first in a long line of many to come...I sorta hope that is true and hope it's not. I'd hate to think I'm the only one who got canned :)

Well, guess I'm outta here for now. I have thought of a few thing I'm officially thankful for:

1. I don't have to talk to vendors who are demanding payment because we are so past due.
2. I don't have to talk to employees whose payroll checks have bounced.
3. I don't have to worry about mine being good.
4. I don't have to worry about not being able to order things we need..or talking to employees who can't order what they need.
5. I don't have to worry about breaking down all the financials for Mark because he's an idiot and can't follow a logical path of things..

6. And most importantly--I don't have to deal with Mark. Ever again.

That in itself should be reason for me to celebrate. I'll celebrate eventually. After I find a new job that is..

Wish me luck!

xoox